Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Queen of Pin Ups - Margarita Carmen Cansino "Some Like It Hot"


Wikipedia: Rita Hayworth
Born Margarita del Carmen Cansino in Brooklyn, New York City, she was the daughter of flamenco dancer Eduardo Cansino, Sr., who was himself a Spaniard from Seville, and Ziegfeld girl Volga Hayworth who was of Irish and English descent. Her father wanted her to become a dancer while her mother hoped she'd become an actress.[2] Her grandfather, Antonio Cansino, was the most renowned exponent in his day of Spain's classical dances; he made the bolero famous. His dancing school in Madrid was world famous. He gave Hayworth her first instruction in dancing.[3]

"I didn't like it very much," revealed Hayworth, "but I didn't have the courage to tell my father, so I began taking the lessons. Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, that was my girlhood."[4]

"From the time I was three and a half," Hayworth said, ". . . as soon as I could stand on my own feet, I was given dance lessons." She attended dance classes every day for a few years in a Carnegie Hall complex under the instruction of her uncle Angel Cansino.





blog comments powered by Disqus