Friday, January 6, 2012

TGIF, Political Circus Edition, Countdown To Apoco-politoco


"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant.

I had every intention of writing this post on the 1st day of this year, but time just kept getting away from me :) What is in store for the United States in the upcoming year? I don't know, I'm not a prognosticator - I'm a procrastinator. We know that the Mayan calender ends 12-21-12, which has been interpreted to mean many different possibilities. Some think it's a sign that the world ends, others believe that the common era is ending, and a new era beginning. I don't know perhaps the Mayan's only chisel maker died. It's entirely possible the Mayan's were the kind of people who just didn't think ahead. In comparison, Americans are forward looking people, our calenders go on into infinity, that's how optimistic we are about the future. I don't really believe in fortune telling, but if you are interested in the political year ahead, Karl Rove is predicting President Obama's political future HERE.

US Presidential Elections is on Tuesday, 6 November 2012 - Countdown 304 Days. Get Your Own Widget - Imagine What The Mayans Could Have Done With A Widget.

Official 2012 Countdown Here, 349 days to go, till we stop telling time with the Mayan calendar.

Are there any signs that the world is coming to an end anytime soon? Well there is this latest national poll by Rasmussen, that shows Rick Santorum, is polling in second place in the national polls for the Republican presidential nominee. Mel Gibson got divorced, and from what I understand, going by his interpretation of Catholicism, he's going to burn or he's already been burned, he's already had a mel- t down, talk about your Apocalypto. Well known bloviating cable news jockey says, he's not sure he will be available to sit in front of camera, during the New Hampshire primary, January 10th, to perform in the broadcast, to get the attention he craves more than air.

Unfinished Mayan relics not withstanding. I think we all just need to simmer down, and count our blessings. Americans know what to do, when faced with pagan's threatening adversity -we either shoot it or we punch it in the face. If it is the end of the world as we know it, what will you be serving at your end of the world party? I say, let's get toasted.




I spent some time trying to think of some appropriate end of the world music for 2012. The Final Countdown, from Europe was suggested. There's the old standby, Armageddon It By Def Leppard. No Way Back, The Foo Fighters. Given the fatalist nature of the current chattering class, writing America's eulogy, and the endings theme for 2012, reminded me of one of last years endings. An ending that had a profound effect on me was Christopher Hitchens ending in December 2011. We are not permanent we are temporary. His brother Peter Hitchens quoted T.S.Eliot at the end of his article addressing his brother's passing It may actually be true, as I have long hoped that it would be, in the words of T.S. Eliot, that "the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time".

I thought I would just remind everyone, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey, and I'm.......



blog comments powered by Disqus